Eight Values of Free Expression

Eight Values of Free Expression

Free expression. What is it? I have attached a short video that explains what free expression is and why it is valuable. I think that the marketplace of ideas is one of the most important values of free speech. The marketplace of ideas says that there is value in differing opinions. I think that it is true. The video I have attached explains what the marketplace of ideas is in normal people's language. The video is by Tom Richey, an educator specializing in history. He talks about European history, world history and US history. In the video, he goes to Publix and explains that although he might not like everything in Publix, he is entitled to choose what he wants and leave behind what he doesn't want. Essentially, that is what the marketplace of ideas is. It is being able to agree with some ideas and concepts, but not every idea or concept. The marketplace of ideas says that we may not all agree, but everyone is able to have their opinion even if others don't agree as long as you are not infringing on other people's rights. Richey says that "Liberty is the ability to do, say, and buy what I want. Whether it be economic or personal freedom." If I go to Publix and Publix or the government has discontinued the sale of all apples (as used in the video) they are taking away my liberty to choose. Without the ability to choose, I no longer have liberty. Liberty is a fundamental right that was outlined in the Constitution so it should never be infringed upon unless I infringe upon someone's liberty first. This concept eludes to the idea that above all else, people whether Black, white, yellow, or purple will eventually agree to what is right and call people out if they are saying things that are wrong. Because I am a journalist at heart, I always value free speech, whether I agree with it or not. I think it is important for a person to have the opportunity to say how they feel. There is strength in the diversity of ideas. No one wants to be around "yes men" 24/7 because that is boring. People should want to be challenged and have their opinions challenged because that is how society works for the better. I have learned a lot of things from people whose views I find repulsive. Different ideas open your eyes to different perspectives. America cannot be a "melting pot" if we all think and act the same.

Comments

Popular Posts