My Digital Footprint

My Digital Footprint

Thinking about your digital footprint is something people don't usually do. Because I am a journalism major with two law enforcement parents, I think I tend to think about what I post more than the average Joe. I often worry about what I post and if these things would make me employable or not. Before I could even get any type of social media account, my dad sat me down and talked me to me about internet weirdos. So I have been taught to be conscious from a young age. I believe I have a relatively medium size footprint. I do not have a personal website but I do have an Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn and TikTok. I steer clear of any hate speech on my pages and try to mainly just post things that I find funny. The only two accounts I have linked are Instagram and Facebook because those are the two platforms I post my own thoughts regularly. The information that I volunteer is my school, my major, my sorority and my favorite Bible verse. Delving deeper into my page, they would find some of my sisters and other people that I hold near and dear to my heart. Almost every service you sign up for requires your phone number and email so I know my information is being sold on the dark web *dun dun duuuuuuun.* I wish it weren't true, but sadly it is. I definitely resonate with some of the things that were said in the article, however, I feel like because I want a career in the media it is best to have a strong but professional social media presence. I do think that social media has affected the way that people interact. I don't know whether it is for the better or not. Social media is a way to connect but you do still have the probability of feeling isolated, depressed, or lonely. The amount of likes and comments from strangers means nothing when you feel like you have no real-world connections.

Comments

Popular Posts