Sanitation Struggle

Sanitation Struggle


With everything going on, I decided that I should blog about germs and whether or not handwashing or hand sanitizer is a better way of killing germs that live on your hands. I have always wondered which is better. I'm guessing that old fashioned soap and water is best for removing germs because sometimes when I use hand sanitizer, I still feel like there are germs on my hands. I went to the CDC webpage and looked for the answer. Turns out that soap and water is the most effective way to get rid of all germs. Although hand sanitizer can get rid of 99.9% of germs, it is not completely effective in removing all germs. Hand sanitizer is not as effective because sometimes people may not use enough or they wipe it off. Hand sanitizer also is not effective when used on overly dirty or greasy hands. Which explains why I sometimes don't feel like sanitizer doesn't get all the germs off my hands. However, if no soap and water are available, then hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol should suffice. The key to killing germs isn't the temperature of the water, although that helps, it is the friction. Germs stick to the oils that are naturally produced by our hands. Soap is what breaks down the oil makes it harder for the germs to stay on our hands. While friction takes care of the rest. People frequently touch their eyes, nose and mouth without even realizing it. So washing your hands routinely is a good way to get rid of any germs and keep yourself healthy. It is also a good way to help those around you! according to the CDC, "About 1.8 million children under the age of five die each year from diarrheal diseases and pneumonia." These two diseases are the top two reasons children in that age category die. So, PLEASE wash your hands with warm water and friction for at least 20 seconds and help make the world a little cleaner.

Comments

Popular Posts